Thursday, October 20, 2005

The last of the questions

The first question here really rubbed me the wrong way. After thinking about it for a bit I think that the right-wing [really annoying people] have tried to ram this "kirche und kinder" [stuff] down our throats, and I responded with some anger at what I felt were the underlying assumptions to some of the questions that were asked. I ended the response with what I felt was the reality of the North-American vision of what "home" was. I do believe that our living space, and what we put into it and the amount of time spent maintaining it and the stuff in it can become an idol, and that idolatry is encourage by the society around us. I feel like the Christian American Dream is just the secular American dream with a little fish stamped on the corner.


20. What do you feel is the importance of the home in the Christian scheme of things?
I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean the home as an institution, as a concept, my home, your home? By the Christian scheme of things do you mean the middle class white suburban Christian scheme of things or do you mean the lower class ghettos of the Third World Christian scheme of things?

The home means different things to different cultures, and they each partake of the image of God and the sinful nature. It is our job to remember that our Savior didn’t have a home. “Foxes have their dens and birds have their nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” And to carefully examine our homes and concepts of home for divergence from His Kingdom’s culture.

The home, as I have felt called to live into it, is a place where rest, nurture and hospitality occur. I think that other people may be called to live a home life that looks different than mine, for example not everyone has the gift of hospitality.

The home can be an important place, but can also become an idol that takes our attention off of God.

21. What vital elements, in your understanding, are necessary to sustain and nourish
one’s own spiritual life?
Prayer, study, prayer, times specifically set apart for being alone with God, being involved in the mission of the church, did I mention prayer? Seriously, our relationship with God requires a great deal of intentionality. If we wish for that relationship to grow we must invest the same things that we would in any other relationship based on deep love.

22. How does your loyalty to Christ relate to your commitment to Friends?
Christ has called me to be committed to the part of His body called the Friends. After reading the teachings of the Friends I have found that in reality I have always been a Friend, I just didn’t always know it.

No comments: